Dr. Galley and M. V. Gillett discovered rich silver-lead ore in the Hot Creek
Range of Nye County in 1870, but Tybo did not develop until 1874. By 1876,
the population was more than one thousand. A series of fifteen charcoal kilns
were built in nearby canyons to help in the smelting process. Mining slowed
and by 1881, only one hundred people were left. A new mining revival began
in 1916, but faded in 1922. Major mining took place from 1926 to 1937 when
the Treadwell-Yukon company built a mill and hired more than two hundred
men. The mine produced more than $6.8 million during this period.
After that, Tybo declined and is now a ghost town. Numerous buildings
remain and some of the nearby charcoal kilns still exist. The Tybo town site is
privately owned with no trespassing allowed. The charcoal kilns are on U.S.
Forest Service land. Any removal of artifacts from those sites is a violation of
the federal antiquities law.
Charcoal Kilns, Buildings Remain
from Online Nevada
Tybo, in Nye County, had a population of more than a thousand in the mid
1870s. Today, the ghost town has only a few remnants of the past.
Photograph by S. Martin Shelton, courtesy of the Nevada State Historic
WELCOME TO . . .